The performance management process is an ongoing one comprising of many different elements, including good communication and clear goal setting. It should be viewed as a continuous cycle rather than a one-off event to get the best out of your staff and work towards achieving your business objectives.
Effective Performance Management Process | 5 Key Steps
- 1. It should be a strategic process with a focus on long term issues.
- 2. The effort of individuals and teams should be integrated with the goals the organisation is trying to achieve.
- 3. Ensure individuals and teams clearly and specifically know what is expected of them.
- 4. It’s essential to ensure feedback is given on achievement.
- 5. Take a developmental approach to an individual’s skills and capabilities.
Bearing in mind that performance management can cover so many aspects, it is essential to have a structure and framework in place to support the process.
Employee performance appraisals are a key component part to any effective performance management approach, do you have procedures in place to ensure employees are appraised on a regular basis?
For practical help putting an effective HR framework in place for your business speak to our Employment Law team today.
Getting the Best out of your Team
Effective performance management enables line managers to undertake their people management responsibilities well and get the best out of the people they manage.
Key features of the performance management process include:
- Two-way communication
- Assessment of competence
- Objective setting and evaluation (SMART)
- Learning and development activities
- Coaching and mentoring
- Succession planning
- Personal development plans
Its essential for managers that they put effective procedures in place when it come to managing performance, by doing so team members will understand their personal goals and those of the business. Let Wirehouse help you get performance management right.