1) When was the last time you reviewed your Health and Safety Policy?If your business has 5 or more employees, it is a legal requirement to have a written Health and Safety Policy which should be reviewed annually or earlier if there have been any significant changes to the business. Our legally qualified Health & Safety team can provide a review of your current Health and Safety documentation to help you work towards compliance.
2) When was the last time you reviewed your Risk Assessments?It is recommended that Risk Assessments are reviewed at least once a year, however, if there have been any changes in the business i.e. new equipment, substances or procedures that could lead to new hazards, you will need to review your Risk Assessments immediately. We provide businesses with Risk Assessment Training enabling them to identify and respond to potential hazards.
3) When was the last time you reviewed your COSHH assessments?COSHH assessments should be reviewed regularly. The length of time between reviews depends on the type of risk and the work. A COSHH assessment should be reviewed immediately if there have been any significant workplace changes or if there is reason to believe it is no longer valid. In August 2018, the EH40/2005 Workplace Exposure Limits was updated to reflect new workplace exposure limits for 31 substances. As a result of this change, companies should be reviewing their COSHH assessments to ensure that the workplace exposure limits are in line with the publication.
4) When was the last time you reviewed your training records?Employers have a duty to provide clear instructions, information and training to employees. It is important to monitor training records to ensure refresher training is carried out when needed. Staff will need extra training if you purchase new equipment or working practices change. To help clients with their Health and Safety training needs, Wirehouse have a range of Tool Box Talks on their client portal and offer a range of classroom and e-learning courses.
5) When was the last time you reviewed your Fire Risk Assessment?Employers (and/or building owners or occupiers) must carry out a Fire Risk Assessment and keep it up to date. If you don’t have the expertise to do the Fire Risk Assessment yourself, one of our Wirehouse Health and Safety Consultants can carry out a Fire Risk Assessment for you. Your Fire Risk Assessment will need reviewing if there have been any significant changes such as:
- A change in the number of people present or the characteristics of the occupants including the presence of people with some form of disability.
- Changes to work procedures, including the introduction of new equipment, alterations to the building, including the internal layout or significant changes to furniture and fixings.
- Significant changes to displays or quantities of stock.
- The introduction or increase in the storage of hazardous substances.
- Becoming aware of shortcomings in fire safety measures or potential improvements.