Unpaid Carers LeaveWhen it comes into force, this leave would apply to those employees who are unpaid carers. The employee would have to declare they have the caring responsibilities and the person receiving care must be:
- a family member; or
- a member of the same household, but not a tenant/lodger/boarder; or
- someone who relies on the employee for care.
What is the Proposed Leave Entitlement?
- The entitlement to leave would be a ‘day-one’ right meaning any employee is entitled to take this leave soon as they commence employment.
- The duration of leave is proposed to be 5 days, unpaid, to allow the employees to carry out any caring responsibilities. The employees may take the leave as a five-day block or single days or even half days. All those who wish to take this leave would need to give notice of taking the leave.
- This notice is proposed to be twice as long as the leave plus a day. Once requested, employers cannot decline the leave but may be able to agree a delay with the employee, in exceptional circumstances.